Since I’ve started living in Europe, it has never ceased to
amaze people that an American can live abroad and speak fluently in a foreign
language without having been raised by French or German parents, or even
without having had an au pair. It’s always a topic of conversation when I first
meet people, who then decide that I’m the exception rather than the rule, since
I’m thin and know where Iraq is on a map (so much for killing off stereotypes).
Yet what most people don’t realize and are surprised to learn is that we
Americans use many expressions derived from the French and German languages
(and other languages, of course) to express everyday occurrences. Sure, we
don’t have an English equivalent of “bon appétit” and we could awkwardly say
“health!” when someone sneezes instead of “Gesundheit,” but somehow the foreign
expression livens up our language and sometimes gives us a better way of
expressing what we truly mean.
Take the phenomenon of the déjà vu. Most of us
have had the strange sensation that we’ve already experienced a particular
moment in time, even if it’s just something as banal as a fork falling off the
table. Saying “déjà vu” in this case instead of “already seen” makes much more
sense, and sounds much less awkward, even if you haven’t been raised by the
French or had a nanny from Paris.
The past week in Lyon and the time leading up to my semester
abroad has been quite the déjà vu for me when I think about my first year
abroad in Mainz in 2008. Four years ago, there was an intense presidential election
(as there is now), which Europeans love to talk about, especially when they
know you’re an American studying political science. I came to Germany feeling
tongue-tied and unsure of myself (especially after the airline lost my
luggage), much like my arrival in Lyon when I had to talk to my roommate on the
phone and have him repeat himself multiple times until I understood that he had
hidden the key in the bushes and unexpectedly wouldn’t be home for another two
hours (reading lips is so underrated). I remember being fascinated by a new
city, but at the same time scared I would always be lost and never know my way
around without a map twice my size unfolded before me. I got lost on runs and
miraculously made it back home, thereby getting to know the area better and
expelling fears that the city was a gargantuan mass of cobblestones and
steeples filled with cafés, small dogs and people who always wore scarves,
regardless of how hot it was (did I mention I had given up fighting
stereotypes?). Oh, and I can’t forget to mention the fact that during my first
week in Mainz as well as my first week in Lyon, I have been approached by a
camera news team to answer a question, only to promptly inform them that I’m
not from around here and repeat the conversation of how it’s possible that an American
can speak French (or, in the case four years ago, German). One very, very big déjà vu.
As ridiculous as my fears may sound, I was also comforted by the fact that it all is a
déjà-vu. Germany doesn’t seem so foreign to me anymore, but more like a
comfortable place that I miss while in this new country with a different
language. After having spoken to my roommates in French all night Sunday and
all day Monday (one is French, the other from Quebec), I was actually relieved
to speak German with a fellow Frankfurt student Monday night. Don’t get me
wrong: my two months at home this summer have me missing slang words and
expressions in English, which can never truly be understood on this side of the
pond (don’t let those Brits fool you). But German was so comfortable to me.
This is all quite laughable when I think back on how much I stuttered to
produce German words four years ago.
Another part of my déjà vu has been seeing two familiar faces
from Mainz, Adélie and Dina. Adélie, from Lyon, did a year abroad in Mainz when
I was in Germany for the first time. Dina, from Israel, arrived in Mainz
shortly before I left for America in 2009. We enjoyed a few “cervoises”
together, which is honey and mint flavored beer (delicious!), and Dina and I
learned a handful of French slang words, such as “chelou” (weird), “relou”
(annoying, stupid), “vénère” (annoying), “chant-mé” (awesome [actually a mix-up
of méchant, which means mean]), “meufs” (chics, or the letters of “femmes” [ladies]
mixed around and thrown into a new word)… let’s just say Adélie had her fun and
has taken it upon herself to make sure we know how to communicate with people
our age. We were quizzed at the end of the night.
The past week has been slow going, but below are some
pictures of my explorations during the past couple of days. I apologize for the skimpy captions, I haven't learned much about the city quite yet!
In the center of the city: Place Bellecour
A church in the Old City (Vieux Lyon) in Lyon
Fourvière
basilica from Vieux Lyon
A lot of cafes and restaurants in Vieux Lyon, I can't wait to try! Lyon is known for having the best food in France... even more so than Paris! (I am willing to make the comparison.)
Vieux Lyon
La Fontaine
Bartholdi
Fourvière from across the Rhône
In the Parc de la Tête
d'Or, very reminiscent of the Amsterdam sign! (see earlier posts)
In the Parc de la Tête
d'Or, where I am able to run not far from my apartment!
The stores always seem cuter in France... just a used book store!
Me, Dina, and Adélie out in Vieux Lyon
Cathédrale Saint-Jean-Baptiste de Lyon
Vieux Lyon
The beginning of the hike up to see Fourvière!
Gardens along the way to Fourvière
Fourvière from below--it was hard to capture how small I really felt!
Lyon from Fourvière
Back of Fourvière
Fourvière from Vieux Lyon
Place Bellecour
There are still many Roman ruins to explore, which I haven't gotten to do yet! Lyon was founded as a Roman colony in 43 BC, but I have yet to go explore that part of its history. Or any of its history, for that matter!
Here's to hoping classes aren't too overwhelming on Monday... is summer really over?!
Peace, love, and this ain't Germany, we jaywalk here,
Amanda
1 comment:
Come back to VT! We jaywalk here too! :) miss you
Post a Comment