When you’re in your native country, there are always
familiar faces surrounding you. You have, in a cliché way, your friends, your
family, the lady you avoid from your hometown that loves to gossip, your former
principal, family doctor, etc…
There are some more familiar faces, however, that represent
another side of American culture unknown to those who have never traveled
stateside and that we as Americans take for granted. I saw some of these
familiar faces when I ventured into the Anglo-Saxon grocery store “Little
Britain” in Lyon, where I was able to reunite with the smiling visages of Aunt
Jemima and Sam Adams and bask in the glory of Jack Daniel’s BBQ Sauce, beef
jerky, cheddar cheese and Jelly Belly. It’s funny how such little capitalistic
pleasures can ease the pain of homesickness away, even if it is only for the all-too-brief
moment of consuming a Reese’s (which, by the way, there really is no wrong way
to eat).
I’m sure that once I return to America, there will be plenty
of things I miss from France (and Germany). I know one of those things will be
the wonderful wine and cheese selection, which I was able to experience (not
for the first time, mind you) this past Thursday during the celebration of the
Beaujolais nouveau in Lyon. Beaujolais nouveau is a young wine released for the
first time on the third Thursday of November of each year. At midnight on that
Thursday there are always fireworks, marking the end of a countdown to
the appearance of Beaujolais nouveau on store shelves and restaurant menus. The
wine itself is only six weeks old, made in the Beaujolais region (south of
Burgundy) in France. The French government has put regulations on when the wine
can be released, which is why the countdown means so much to the Lyonnais and
any wine connoisseur.
At the so-called Beaujolympiades, I and my friends Jake and
Tom were able to taste wine from about a dozen wineries that came from the
Beaujolais region. The wines were not exclusively the Beaujolais nouveau,
although that was typically what was offered at first. I’ve often heard that
the Lyonnais are considered cold and distant, which I was able to first really
appreciate after talking with these farmers from a different region not all
that far away from the city. They were all eager to tell you all about their wine and the region they come from, and even go into detail about the wine harvesting process.
Another typical “Lyonnais” thing I did this past week was go
to a soccer game between Lyon and Reims at the Stade de Gerland this Sunday. Lyon
won, and we had very good seats considering we only paid 10 euro each. I must
say that I was disappointed to be sitting on the opposite side of all of the
cheering, since my last European soccer experience involved a lot of yelling
and a very distinct sort of cultural immersion.
I had another noteworthy experience this past week very
unrelated to soccer or wine and cheese consumption but still very “French” in
my mind. I somehow got “roped into” modeling beauty products for a sister
company of my friend Isabelle’s company USANA. I got a free 40 minute facial,
which was very nice, but not as relaxing considering I was on display for a lot
of people that I couldn’t see. Maybe it was good that I had to keep my eyes
closed. Not like I’m complaining or anything.
Lyon at night
Where I run everyday -- Parc de la Tête d'Or, where there's also a zoo including zebras, flamingos, crocodiles, etc...
You can call me pumpkin.
Can anyone tell me what this is? I've been seeing these almost-grapefruit-sized tennis-ball-looking things everyday for the past few months and I have no idea what they are!
Entrance to the park
Blue sky in Lyon--we're not in Germany anymore!
A few prizes from my trip to "Little Britain"-- Thanksgiving's on the horizon!
Old train station in Lyon-- Chemin de Fer literally means "Path of Iron"
Jake and Tom at the Beaujolympiades
Jake, me, and Tom at the Beaujolympiades
One vendor was very excited to learn from Jake that I live in Germany, since he had spent three years selling wine in Düsseldorf. He got a kick out of practicing his German. Jake also informed him that I speak Russian, and later he tried to get me to translate for some customers. Let's just say that I don't think these particular individuals were very happy about having a young American girl as a translator...
Stade de Gerland for the soccer game against Reims
Vive la France, vive l'Olympique Lyonnais!
Peace, love, and t'es trop ricaine,
Amanda
No comments:
Post a Comment